ChatGPT is a free online human-chat dialogue service powered by artificial intelligence based on Reinforcement Learning technology.
I previously introduced an AI translator DeepL, but it differs from that at DeepL in that its main purpose seems to be to chat, but it can translate, summarise and give feedback on texts, and even suggest appropriate paraphrases.
As an English writing check, DeepL is easier to use, but it is an effective tool for English learners when looking for better expressions for sophisticated or academic phrases or other purposes.
Here is an example of the results, using my former article Vinyasa Yoga.
First, I asked the AI tool to tell me what is good and bad about my article.
- Certainly! Here are some potential pros and cons of the yoga article you shared:
- Pros: Discusses the author’s personal experience with yoga and the benefits they have gained from it. Provides some information about different types of yoga and their characteristics.
- Cons: Lacks context and background information about the author’s experiences with yoga and their visits to India. Could be more engaging for readers if it included more personal anecdotes and reflections on the author’s experiences with yoga. Does not offer any tips or advice for readers who are interested in starting yoga or improving their practice.
Second, I asked them to suggest any more sophisticated alternative wording.
- Sure, here are some alternative phrases that you could use to make your writing more sophisticated:
- Original: I use a book of 12 coupons instead of a monthly unlimited plan.
Alternative: I prefer to purchase a package of 12 individual classes instead of opting for a monthly unlimited membership.
- Original: Vinyasa Yoga focuses on dynamic flow.
Alternative: Vinyasa Yoga emphasizes fluid and continuous movement.
- Original: I think a yogi is required to have the power of breathing, sustained concentration and endurance.
Alternative: A successful yogi should possess strong respiratory control, sustained concentration, and physical endurance.
It offers continuous conversation, unlike Apple’s Siri or Google’s Alexa. The flow of the conversation is stored, so you can use pronouns about past comments or ask for corrections if responses from the AI tool are off the mark. Well, it would be weird if someone didn’t talk to a live person, but only to an auto-reply robot.
Finally, I concluded my impression of using the AI tool to proofread texts for a while. I think it is okay to have ambiguous expressions in the text because the reader needs room to think for themselves. Even if this leads to a different understanding from the author’s original interpretation. However, I felt that AI tools tended to correct such ambiguous expressions without compromising them, focusing on accuracy and clarity so as to avoid misunderstanding.