The pace of my studies has slowed down. This is when I have to hang in there. I didn’t know that the vocabulary I had studied was so limited. When I looked it up in the dictionary, there were no difficult meanings or technical terms. I should go back to my original goal, which was to improve my English listening skills, not just struggle with word searches.
15. Watching Frank’s Interview
- purity *> the state of not being mixed with anything else
- integrity *> the quality of being honest and strong about what you believe to be right
- out of hands = out of control
- She’s coming on to you. #cast amorous glances
- slobber > saliva or food to run out of the mouth
16. Going to Meet Kathleen
- would love to = would very much like to
- So I suppose she’s carrying a copy of a book with a flower in it? #one book
- She could be a real dog, man. #ugly
- I’ll say hello, have a cup of coffee and then I’ll split. #go away at once
- squeaky > making very high noises that are not loud
- compel *> to force someone to do something
- You’re taking it to the next level. #next step
- adorable *> charming, attractive, and easily loved
- pathetic *> causing feelings of sadness or sympathy, pitifully or miserable
17. Meeting at Cafe Lalo
- I’m expecting someone.
- bottom line = net income
- confront *> to face, meet, or deal with a difficult situation or person
- meanness > the quality of being unwilling to give or share things, especially money
- cruel *> extremely unkind and intentionally causing pain
- You are nothing but a suit. #not worth anything
- That’s my cue. #It’s time to pull the plug.
18. Getting Stood Up
- trivet > a metal stand that you put on a table to protect its surface from hot dishes or pans
- insult *> an offensive remark or action
- Underneath that disagreeable exterior, #deep down in someone’s heart, at heart
- This place is a well-oiled machine, my friend. #everything is going well
- He never came. He stood you up. #he was a no-show and neglect you
- He’s toast! #completely burnt
- Those cab drivers are maniacs. #rough driving
- unconscious > in a state as though you are sleeping, for example because you have been hit on the head
- In a coma. # losing consciousness altogether and being unable to wake up
- Stuck in intensive care. #ICU
- It could be. #could possibly
- detain > to force someone officially to stay in a place
19. Thinking about You
- I was cruel, and I’m never cruel. #I’m no longer cruel
- But l just want to say all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings.
- Even deserved. #It serves his right.
20. Deciding to Close
- madly in love > to love someone very much
- You are such a liar.
- You are daring to imagine that you could have a different life. #if you were brave enough, you may have a better life (II conditional)
- dare > to be brave enough to do something difficult or dangerous or that you should not do
- big fat = such
- the unknown = unknown world
- That’s so mean. #not kind
- It wasn’t meant to be. #it was destined to do so. (impossible love)
21. Going to the Movies
- run = govern
- Just as well. #that is happy anyway
- anarchist > someone who believes that governments, laws etc are not necessary
- dictators > a ruler who has complete power over a country, especially one whose power has been gained by force
- surrogate > a surrogate person or thing is one that takes the place of someone or something else
- She’s out of her mind. #confuse, mad
- I could never be with anybody who doesn’t take politics seriously.
- I can’t help myself. #can’t stop doing
- But there is the dream of someone else.